The Collaborative Storytelling Company
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE ADVENTURE MAIN THREAD

4 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

THE ADVENTURE MAIN THREAD Empty THE ADVENTURE MAIN THREAD

Post by Kindulas Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 pm

"The Reaper" he was becoming known. A dangerous criminal; his gaunt face put on wanted posters beside others the Obzedat wanted wanted removed. But despite their propaganda that branded him as a merciless life-taker, there were those who knew the good he did.

Greetings Reaper Volker, walking down an alley with his hood hiding his face, hears a low voice in his head. I am not a foe. On the contrary, I believe we may have some mutual interest, and I'd like to invite you to the abandoned Chapel in the Vero district at sunset. And trust me, if this were an Orzhov trap, they'd rather haul your off with thrulls and make a heroic show out of it.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

THE ADVENTURE MAIN THREAD Empty Re: THE ADVENTURE MAIN THREAD

Post by Kindulas Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:16 pm

[[You needn't even roll to know that the Vero district was a poor and run down one that the Orzhov pulled out of once the inhabitants became too impoverished to be of use. You've helped a fair amount of people there.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Volker swiftly turns around, knife in hand to see the empty alleyway behind him. Confused but alert, he looks around carefully before responding with:

"You're right on one count. The Orzhov certainly do enjoy making a show of things. They also don't tend to use mind tricks, not their idea of useful magics. But you could just as easily be an agent of house Dimir or an Azorius pawn. How do I know I can trust you?"
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 am

You saved the life of a man named Sigmund not long ago, I believe. We don't exactly have anyone who can heal the living like that, so we were at the mercy of his condition. He is a friend of mine and can vouch for us who hide out in the chapel.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 am

"Very well. I will come at the time specified, but as a sign of good faith, I want Sigmund to greet me at the entrance. If I suspect any foul play or so much as see an Orzhov agent in the near vicinity, I will not come."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 am

I would exercise no less caution myself. Farewell.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 am

With that, Volker continues walking as though nothing had happened. He is admittedly surprised by the mental intrusion, but has dealt with mind mages before and is at least not totally taken off guard as he had been in his first encounter with the Dimir. Rather than let himself go down the scarred path of memory lane, he decides to focus solely on his surroundings. He heads to his home/hideout to get some rest before heading to this strange meeting.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 am

[[MAKE AN ARCANA CHECK; that is, tell me your arcana and any freaky knowledge bonuses you might have]]
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:43 am

18 arcana. No freaky knowledge bonuses
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:48 am

That wasn't quite average telepathy. In fact, you sense no blue magic from the interaction.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:51 am

As he nears home, Volker suddenly stops in his tracks with the realization that, throughout his telepathic encounter, he had sensed no blue magic. An oversight he will not soon forgive himself for. Mistakes could get him killed. Volker, puzzled by the turn of events, finds it impossible to sleep when he does get home.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Dusk settles as Volker lies awake. Despite his lack of rest, he might as well go; after all, not knowing answers was why he couldn't sleep.

After a small trek, he arrives within sight range of the chapel. True to the voice's word, Sigmund is sitting upon the steps.

[[Make a perception check.]]
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Perception is 5, no other bonuses.

Volker hangs back, surveying the surroundings, eyes peeled for any sign of guild symbols or other suspicious behavior.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Volker finds nothing suspicious.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:50 pm

While he may not see any threats, Volker still approaches cautiously and attempts to sneak through the shadows up behind Sigmund(stealth 11, no other bonuses) before whispering into his ear:

"Don't be afraid; it's me, 'The Reaper.' I want you to walk into the church as though nothing is going on and you just came out here for some fresh air. Do not look at me, do not turn around suddenly. I don't want to have to restrain you. When we are safely inside and the door is shut, then we may talk."
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Sigmund lets out a sigh. He's an old man with dark skin and short white hair. He stands up, not seeming to react to Volker, and enters the Chapel.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Volker follows behind him and ensures the door is shut.

"I apologize for the inconvenience, Sigmund, but one can never be too careful. Half the guilds are after my head. How are you feeling by the way? Is the new lease on life treating you well?"
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am

"Very well, thank you again. I hope you might lend your services to my other friends."
Volker sees what looks like a church's main hall, as expected, except the pews were changed from their normal forward facing setup to be formed like chairs around a board room, with some missing. Replacing the altar is an almost throne like chair with an old man in a suit sitting in it, staring blankly and petting a small black cat in his lap.
Greetings Reaper
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:27 am

Volker chuckles to himself a little bit and removes his hood. He's bald with a very gaunt, skeletal face. He looks to be somewhere in his late forties and his eyes are almost grey from lack of color in the iris. He walks towards the man in the throne.

"Hello my mysterious friend. I like what you've done with the place. Certainly much better than what the Orzhov used it for. Did you find the torture chamber yet? might still be a few bodies in there. But, enough about the church. I believe you have need of my services, do you not?"
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:57 am

Indeed. I believe we have a common interest - that is, the assistance of the oppressed and the opposition of the Obzedat. Allow me to explain, I lead an underground group of guild exilees who fight against the oppressive. I would go so far as to say you would fit in well with us.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:12 am

Volker raises an eyebrow. Other than that, his face remains inexpressive as he says:

"If what you say is true, I have no doubt that I can help. I would like to see some of your other members, but first, you must explain two things to me. The first is how are you speaking directly into my head without using blue magic? The second, if you're all exiles, which guild dispensed with you?
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:51 am

I myself left the Orzhov ranks. And as to your question, I am not a mind mage but a necromancer. And by that I do not mean the messy kind that deals with corpses and flesh. I deal with spirits - thereby, I can communicate directly with your soul. It's very useful.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 am

"I see. Very useful technique. By the way you're using it even when I'm near, you either must be mute or not like to talk. Whichever it is, I thank you for your summons, but I must ask two more things of you. What is your name, and what would you like me to do?"

(I roll history on the name if he gives it to me, skill bonus of 10)
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:57 am

"Mute" isn't exactly the word, but you wouldn't find my vocalizations intelligible. My name is Sebastian, "Soulslaver" I'm called by some.
With a roll of 29, and the Orzhov connection, Volker finds the name rings a bell. Definitely an ex-Orzhov spirit-mancer, and an old one. Sebastian had gone rouge at a fairly early age, but Volker could've sworn his moniker had been "Black Cat." Perhaps it was a nickname given a liking for cats the old man now displayed?

At that moment, a man fell from the rafters and landed gracefully on the back of the throne. He wore black cloth pants and a red leather jacket, and had long, straight black hair. He stood crouched upon the back of the chair - he looked fairly young, late 20s to mid 30s, but he had red eyes and his smile betrayed long white fangs.

The cat leapt off the old man's lap with a loud yowl and stood on the chair's arm, hissing quickly at the newcomer. The old man simply stood up, turned around and bowed.
"Master Vash, your entrance is unpredictable as always," he said.
"I do my best," Vash responded, "And kitty, you know how I feel about the hissing."
Don't you DARE address me that way Vash! Especially in front of newcomers!!
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:08 am

Volker blinks a couple times. He is quietly laughing on the inside, but his outward appearance betrays no sign of laughter.

"Of course. How wonderfully simple. The "Black Cat" was not just a simple nickname, he is an actual black cat. I've heard of you, of course. Indeed, I would find the mewls of a cat unintelligible. This is turning out to be quite a fun day. Now, who is this Vash? And for that matter, who's the man who was just petting you?"
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 am

Sebastian lets out a low guttural sound as he faces Volker and regains his composure.
"I am just the butler, sir, you may call me Jeeves." With that, he takes a couple steps to the side of the chair, so that he is not in front of Vash.
"Vash the Heartless, here!" Vash said. "I'm sure Sebastian has told he he was in charge, but we're really a sort of coalition, and he's hardly more powerful than I am. Or older."
With a 28 to history, Volker finds that the title is somewhat familiar. Wasn't this man... a champion of Rakdos??? If this was the same man, his reign of terror was not one well forgotten by history.
Yes well, admittedly it is doubtful I could take him one on one. Well, as "One on one" as my fighting style permits. Volker notices an ornate talisman hanging from Sebastian's collar, and with a 31 to arcana, he recognizes the crystal as one the Orzhov use to hold souls.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:37 am

"The question is," Vash said, "Who are you?"
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:42 am

"A former Rakdos, as I leave and breath. I was not aware a member of that guild could live so long, nor have any propensity to work with others. I am Volker, but many call me the Reaper these days. I must say, my first instinct is to scoff at your claim of age, but somehow I think at least one of you can beat 102 years. But, I think I would like to get the point, which is, why have you summoned me here? To what purpose shall I assist you?"

When addressing Vash, Volker has a very notable disdain in tone, though outward expression remains neutral.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 am

"Aw, man, what's with the disdain? Lemme guess, lemme guess: you've heard of me, I've killed a lot of people. Let me assure you, I'm not that guy anymore. I never did live up to my mother's expectations, you know, developing that sense of justice and all. The moniker is really quite ironic considering I have more of a heart than my kin, but it IS literal." Vash pulls aside part of jacket to reveal the hilt of a Rakdos rite-knife lodged into his chest. "And for the record, I didn't live long at all."

For the moment, we're trying to root out all the Rakdos rats from the district. I am, however, extending an invitation of membership to our little band, should you prove useful. Teamwork should not be underestimated, especially in macro planning.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 am

"I apologize if my tone betray's misgivings. I have never been fond of Rakdos. So much violence, so much destruction, so wasteful. They could at least try to be economical in their use of destructive resources, but no. It is destruction without purpose, revelry with no cause, and a violent affront to life itself. On the other hand, their parties are an excellent source of life-force for both me and my patients. I have no qualms taking life from idiots who are going to die at the party anyway," he turns to Sebastian and speaks much more respectfully when he says "Now, I was wondering if I might have a little tour of the church and your operations, Sebastian?"
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:40 am

"Of course," Vash says, "Who doesn't hate the Rakdos? They're animals - no offense, Sebby. To be perfectly fair, "fun" isn't a purpose to sneeze at - what it IS, however, is unjust when they should tear through the innocent. They're monsters who need to be put down, and would hope you might help with that. "
Sebastian ignores the remark and the nickname.
I would gladly give you a tour. One of our members is out, but Jessica should be in.
With that, Sebastian hops onto the butler's shoulders.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:44 am

"Ah yes, I shall enjoy that greatly. As for you Vash, I shall give give you a chance to prove yourself decent, but I must make it clear that I do not trust you, yet. We will see if you can overturn that sentiment. Regardless, lead on, Sebastian."

He follows Sebastian to Jessica.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:55 am

Vash chuckles. "Fair enough," he says, and walks away.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lapis-Lazily Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:20 pm

As he follows Sebastian and the butler, Volker takes the time to examine his surroundings (Perception still 5).
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily

Back to top Go down

Post by Kindulas Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:56 pm

Vash can be quite taxing at times, but his usefulness is unquestionable
Volker notices that every Orzhov guildsign in the main hall is obscured or defaced. Furthermore, the door at the back of the hall that one would think leads to the lower areas is actually welded shut. Sebastian and Jeeves lead Volker to the side of the hall where a worn Orzhov guild symbol life in the wall. With his perception check of 20, Volker realizes there is a very small soulstone like the one in Sebastian's talisman embedded in the symbol, and suddenly a hidden door opens around the symbol. Once the stone pulls back, the workings behind it are filled with metal and tubes like an Izzet contraption. They descend a small, makeshift flight of stairs and head to MEANWHILE - [IC THREAD B]
Kindulas
Kindulas
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next